Monday, February 20, 2012

What rate should I pick in the coast guard?

I am planning on attending OCS. l I have almost completed my packet, except for the part where I pick a rate. Some background I have is an undergrad degree in recreation management and I have an MBA. After looking at the website I can't decide what rate is equivelant to my experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have heard that people pick their rate and pick their fate. So I want to make sure I am making the right choice. Thanks for your help!What rate should I pick in the coast guard?
You can put your mind at ease.



Rating specialties are the realm of enlisted. If you graduate OCS, you'll be an officer. Officers don't have ratings, just ranks. Graduating OCS, you'll be an ensign, just like the rest of your class.



Good luck.What rate should I pick in the coast guard?
Do you mean rating, the maritime equivalent of rank? Surely they'd ascribe that to you based on experience, valour, merit and so forth. If you mean rate as in freelance worker hourly pay (like me) then I'd ask for around 拢75 per hour plus VAT, that should give them a chuckle. You do not mention boats ships vessels harbours quays jetties or the sea in your qualifications. One does not want to cramp your style but the coast guard by nature guard the coast, some are highly medically trained, some are brave mariners, a few rise to be officers and senior admin staff, but none, to my knowledge, employ recreational abilities in their duties of saving lives at sea and seeing to the midnight drug smuggling that goes on.

I have a feeling you have fractionally missed the point of what these folk do and the kind of colleagues they need with them to do it.

EDIT: Aha, I see this from the States. In which case forget all I wrote, go for it, they'll love you just as you are.What rate should I pick in the coast guard?
Interesting... You are filling out your OCS packet and asks you to pick your rate. Hmmm, that's a different OCS packet than most will ever see. For officers, there are no rates, you are an officer. Period. Enlisted have rates.



Be prepared to not get the answer you may want. The selection process for officer is very competitive. II know in the last year or two they have taken less than 15 total "off the street" candidates. Most are prior service enlisted members that promote from within. I wish you all the best of luck but along with the OCS submission, you may want to speak to a recruiter about enlisting at the same time.
  • government auctions
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment