Thursday, February 16, 2012

Is it safe to pick up insects for the most part?

if I happen to see an interesting bug and want to take a closer look at it, is it OK for me to let it crawl on my hands (provided it doesn't have sharp pincers)? or will it be harmful to me or the bug?Is it safe to pick up insects for the most part?
I do that with my kids on a regular basis, there's not many dangerous "bugs" in the US or Canada, unless you living in a tropical region, and with the exceptions of some spiders ( I suggest you refrain from the spiders) but even some who look like they have long snappers, don't always pinch unless you try to smoosh it. Have fun catching your bugs! :)
Many insects are harmless, even some bees and wasps, but I recommend you do not handle those species, anyway. A great way to know if an insect is harmful, is color and aggression. Some aquatic bugs bite, so beware of those. The only way you could be possibly harmed is if the insect is aggravated or handled harshly. So the answer to your question is, yes, it would be OK.Is it safe to pick up insects for the most part?
it depends on the insect and if you really are IDing an insect. Most insects will just run off your hand and keep going but some do give a pretty hard bite. You should get some field guides and learn the easy way as to which insects bite and which just give off a bad smell.
Well, it's kind of like snakes - 95% of them are harmless, but if you don't know which ones are dangerous, it's a good idea to leave them alone.Is it safe to pick up insects for the most part?
You're much braver then me! I tend to avoid bugs at all costs lol



You'd probably be fine for the most part. Just be sure to be gentle and pay attention to signs of aggression to avoid being stung or bitten. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment