Monday, February 13, 2012

I broke my pick ax handle, how do I remove the part left in the pick ax to install a new handle?

What's left in the ax head is a small portion of the wooden handle secured by a small steel wedge.I broke my pick ax handle, how do I remove the part left in the pick ax to install a new handle?
Square off what is left of the handle with a saw, hold the metal ends in your hands and smack the stub end down on concrete or stone. Your not going to get it out punching from the top. Unlike a hammer or ax, a pick handle goes in at the top. The pick head metal is tapered top (wide) to bottom (narrow) so the pick never flies off. If there is not enough stub left, set the head on the ground and smack it out with a hammer and chisel from the bottom.I broke my pick ax handle, how do I remove the part left in the pick ax to install a new handle?
drill a bunch of holes in what's left of it. or burn the rest outI broke my pick ax handle, how do I remove the part left in the pick ax to install a new handle?
Knock it out from the top with a hammer and punch or screwdriver. We burn them out in a firepit.
  • mr tire
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment