Monday, February 20, 2012

I need to pick between two part-time retail jobs...?

I'm 18 and have recently started a Fashion Business course at university. For a year before starting, I worked pretty much full-time for a shoe concession within a department store. In August, the company went bust and we were made redundant. My manager from that job was then employed as the manager of a new shoe concession within the same store.

After being made redundant. I went to work part-time for an older women's fashion chain. I don't dislike my current job, I just much prefered my old one.

My old boss has offered me a job within her new shoe concession and I don't know which job to take.



Job 1 (Clothes shop) - Pro's



Reasonably well paid for a retail job.

Time-and-a-third on a Sunday. Although I rarely work Sundays. Maybe 1 Sunday in 6.

Easy.

Get on reasonably well with the staff.

33.3% discount.

Good uniform allowance.

Bonus if the store makes monthly targets.

Evening shifts are worked in two's.



Con's



Although I get on with staff, I don't really have anything in common with them.

I don't care for the products.

Evening shifts are only 3 hours. (I have to work evenings, I'm a student)

I don't feel I'm particularly good at it. I'm okay but not great.

I've been told I don't have the "look" of the company.

I don't like what I have to wear as uniform.





Job 2 (Shoe concession) - Pro's



Boss I get on great with and have so much in common with.

Evening shifts are 4 hours instead of 3.

I must be good at selling shoes or my old boss wouldn't have offered me this job.

Comission.

Free uniform.

I like what they sell.

Great company image - good on CV and good experience. (I'm studying fashion)



Con's



I currently don't know their rate of pay.

I currently don't know their discount rate.

Ugly uniform.

Have to wear heels to work.

If the old concession was unsuccessful, who's to say this one will still be there in a year?

My old boss is really stressed out and I don't know if she's going to stay at this job, so one of the reasons for going for this job might not last.

Evening shifts are worked alone.







Tell me what you think! GO!I need to pick between two part-time retail jobs...?
There's really more pros at job #1.. And like you said most retail shops don't pay that well. Or offer as high a discount.. And the cons are incidental..

#2 sounds iffy and you should never accept a job without knowing the rate of pay.. It might take you more hours to make what you do at #1 if the rate is low..

Good luck choosing..I need to pick between two part-time retail jobs...?
Why not do both?



After you've worked both for a while, decide which is better and keep that one, or.... keep them both...
  • kauffman tire
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment