Monday, January 30, 2012

Can anyone explain the 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus, to me?

I have just recently found out there is a 13th zodiac sign by the name of Ophiuchus, who runs into our ecliptic from November 29-December 17. This leaves what we know today about our zodiac completely incorrect. Is this true? Does this mean everything we know about astrology is false?

I'm trying to find more information, but I cannot seem to find much to answer my questions.

I like to interpret birth charts and horoscopes, but now I'm unsure if all the information produced is true or not. Can anyone give me more information on this?Can anyone explain the 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus, to me?
You're confusing the zodiac, used by astrologers, with the ecliptic, used by astronomers. Astrologers arbitrarily divide the ecliptic up into 12 equal "signs." These are completely out of whack with the real constellations in the sky, which astronomers use, and which are defined by their boundaries. It happens that 13 unequal constellations fall along the ecliptic, and the Sun (and other solar system bodies) spends varying amounts of time in them.Can anyone explain the 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus, to me?
GeoffG: No actually Melissa isn't confusing zodiac with ecliptic. The zodiac (or astrology) is BASED on the ecliptic, so what she's confusing are TROPICAL (12 sign) and SIDEREAL (13 sign) zodiacs, both sub-categories of ecliptics.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S鈥?/a>

Report Abuse

Can anyone explain the 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus, to me?
There are 13 constellations that the sun passes through in the sky. There happen to be about 12 lunar months in a year so the astrologists decided that it is all bunk anyways so they tossed out Ophiuchus for the "zodiac".
Hi. This astronomical (vs astrological) constellation is the "Serpent Holder". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus And yes, astrology would get freaked out by its inclusion in the zodiac.
  • dominoes online
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment